Frequently Asked Questions:

How can I change the name on my deed?

To make changes to ownership of property, a new document must be prepared. Title companies or an attorney may assist you in making the necessary changes. The Recorder’s Office does not prepare documents.


Can the Recorder’s Office provide a copy of a deed if I have only the property address?

If you have only an address, you must contact the Assessor’s office for more information. We index by name and year of purchase.


Does my property have any liens filed on it?

Our office is responsible only to record documents that meet recording requirements. If you wish to search the records yourself, we will be glad to provide assistance. The Recorder’s Office is not the only office where liens on property are filed.


Can you tell me the selling price of a home in my neighborhood?

The selling price of real estate is not required on recorded deeds.


Are there any easements on my property?

If your property is located in a recorded subdivision, most easements are shown on the plat. Easements may also be shown on your deed or the deed of the person you purchased your property from. You may also search the indexes.


When will I receive my recorded document back after recording?

Original recorded documents may be picked up the following business day after 12:00 p.m. Documents returned by mail will be sent within 24 to 48 hours. A self addressed stamped envelope is required for all documents returned by mail.


Who can perform a marriage?

Marriages can be performed by any minister who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state. Any judge, including municipal judges, can perform marriages, however there are no judges in Barry County who perform marriages. There are no Justices of the Peace in Missouri.